Germany has the largest Bird Zoo in the world, Vogelpark Walsrode. So in honor of this and Germany's extensive efforts at wildlife conservation we spent the day studying birds. A visit to the local aviary left me feeling a bit like this...
The kids, however, seemed to thoroughly enjoy running around like chicken's with their heads cut off (only louder, a LOT louder).
After the aviary we practiced our own flight skills on the Ferris Wheel and the airplanes...
Three Young President Uchtdorfs :)
Then Colin and Mason took a spin on the autobahn.
Later that evening we did a bird beak experiment from Super Science Projects About Animals in Their Habitats by Allan B. Cobb. We talked about the shapes of different bird beaks and how they would be useful for eating different foods. The kids tried some of the "beaks" and made observations about which types of food would be best suited for each.
Great post! I wish I could do better at posting. I need solid blocks of time to do it and I guess I'd rather read. Or stare at the wall. or sleep.
Is that the aviary in SLC? I remember going there a lot when I lived there and loved it. Lately I've been teaching the kids how to draw birds. Not that I know how, but we've been trying to use books to learn.
Enjoy the rest of your summer! It's been 108-1,100 degrees here every day!
1 comment:
Great post! I wish I could do better at posting. I need solid blocks of time to do it and I guess I'd rather read. Or stare at the wall. or sleep.
Is that the aviary in SLC? I remember going there a lot when I lived there and loved it. Lately I've been teaching the kids how to draw birds. Not that I know how, but we've been trying to use books to learn.
Enjoy the rest of your summer! It's been 108-1,100 degrees here every day!
Post a Comment