With August and all its adventures behind us we finally caught our breaths and started to think about Anna (Shem's little sister) and her upcoming wedding in San Diego. We wanted so desperately to be there, but didn't know quite how to swing it financially. Airfare was out of the question and driving down with our kids for a short trip sounded painful. When Rebecca (another of Shem's little sisters) offered two spots for us to ride in her Suburban-O-Fun riding to Cali, we scrambled to make it happen.
With my Mom sleeping over the night before we left (Thanks Mom - you couch sleeping trooper!) we were out the door before 5:00 a.m. on Friday, September 10th, on our way to rendezvous with our ride. (Thanks is also owing to my sisters for helping watch the crew!!!)
We couldn't have picked a more fun crowd to spend the not-so-endless hours on the road. Rebecca, her husband Jed (the tireless driver), their chubby cheeked baby Dylan, Elias (a brother), and Stephanie (Anna's good friend who became instantly adored and adopted by everyone in the family). We laughed, we slept (except Jed, of course). We ate the masterfully prepared car food meals I had planned and executed. We made it to Poway in time to take an unnecessary 45 minute scenic detour around the town and past the reception church (thanks to moi and my lame navigating skills). We checked into our hotel, made arrangements to sleep six adults and a baby in our small accommodations (this trip was all about saving money), then headed to Target because here we were in California and only one of us (Elias) had remembered to bring a swimsuit. After perusing the clearance racks we eventually made it to the reception church hoping to find Anna and her soon-to-be husband John.
| Shem, Jed, Rebecca, Stephanie, Dylan, Elias |
| Kissable Cheeks Dylan |
At the church we found John's frustrated Uncle trying to finish hanging strings of stubborn tulle and lights. We all jumped in to help and were richly rewarded with dinner. Yummy.
The next morning, Saturday the 11th, we got up early so we could do an endowment session in the San Diego Temple just before the sealing. It was a beautiful day and we were so happy to be there with John and Anna in the sealing room. They were both caught up with emotion and it was tender to see John cry. After the ordinance the sealer invited them to look together into the mirrors that reflected them into eternity. The sealer thoughtfully asked John, "What do you see?" He responded, "Many wives." Considering the family history it was the funniest comment ever! What he was thinking was "Many Annas," but that isn't nearly as humorous.
![]() |
| San Diego Temple |
![]() |
| John and Anna |
We filled up on all the yummy foods (all these free meals were really helping us stay in budget!) and then signed off to try to catch the sunset on the beach. Connie (another sister) and Nancy (Shem's mom) came along for the fun.
Unfortunately, it was an overcast day and parking was terrible so we made it to the water just as it was getting dark. For some members of the Bishop family it was a first time at the ocean. Moving from San Diego when I was nine I had spent many a summer day in that water. I hadn't realized how much I missed it. Knowing it would be frigid and nearly dark I didn't bring my suit, but suddenly it was all I wanted to be in that water. Connie had her suit on under her clothes and Eli wanted to go in too. It was completely dark now and I was torn knowing how cold it would be both in the water and when I got out. My MIL could see my struggle. Finally she demanded I hand over my shirt (to preserve some measure of warmth for the afterward) and just get in. I threw abandon (and my shirt) to the wind. Fortunately I was wearing a nice, thicker, contoured bra. I yelled to Eli (the poor unmarried, probably now emotionally scarred, consummate gentleman), "Just pretend it's a white bikini!"Elias, Connie, and I jumped the waves, just like I did with my brothers and sisters as a kid. It was amazing. We screamed when the waves came up bigger than anticipated. We laughed and splashed against the rising crests. Little Connie (not age, just frame) would get swept away on a wave and then we would frantically search for her. It was so fun I just wanted to scream my happiness into the night sky. I felt free and whole. I felt like the waves were washing away an outer coating that I hadn't even realized I was carrying. It felt like healing.
We came out of the water wet and sandy. It felt perfect. After making our way back to the car we stopped for dinner at Outback. When we exclaimed to the hostess that we had just been in the ocean she replied, "You must not be from around here." Clearly not!
Sunday morning we packed up and headed back to the car for the ride home. We totaled up all the expenses and it came out to about $40 per person!
It was sad to say goodbye to our travel mates and head back to our homes. It was a brief trip, but we made the most out of every moment.


b%2Btobi.jpg)
1 comment:
I loved every minute of that. I don't think I knew you went to CA. How fun.
Post a Comment