Kate was supposed to be baptized September 11th, but since we were in California Kate had to wait until October. We were ready to go for October 9th when we got the word on September 29th that Shem's mom, Nancy, had received approval from Elder D. Todd Christopherson to be re-baptized (she had been excommunicated about 30 years ago for doctrinal reasons but had always loved and stayed close to the church, participating however she could). Mom had been working for months on the process and now that she had the go ahead she didn't want to waste any time. She chose the upcoming Sunday, October 3rd to be be baptized and asked Shem to perform the ordinance. I immediately asked if she would consider having Kate baptized with her, if we could get permission from our bishop. It's not every day an 8-year-old girl gets to be baptized with her Grandma.
With our bishop's blessing we scrambled to notify everyone of the change. The baptism was to be held at Mom's Stake Center in Salt Lake in between the morning and afternoon Conference sessions. The chapel was filled with family, friends, and ward members who had come to support Nancy and Kate. I gave a talk on baptism and the Holy Ghost and the Bishop daughters sang. We proceeded to the font room and somehow managed to cram everyone in.
There was such a sweet feeling as Kate watched her Dad baptize his Mom (it took two soaks she says) and then Kate entered the water and was baptized. Enoch (Shem's brother) gave Mom a beautiful blessing and confirmed her a member of the Church. My dad and brothers joined the circle and Kate also received the Holy Ghost.
I felt so full to have two women I love officially in the gospel of Jesus Christ!
As a side note: We realized later that since Shem was also able to do the baptismal work earlier in the year for his Grandma Shaffer in the Salt Lake Temple he has now baptized his Grandmother, his Mother, and his Daughter.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

b%2Btobi.jpg)
5 comments:
That is so neat! It made me emotional to read about! :)
It was a beautiful day.
What a wonderful day!
Congratulations to all. This gospel is so wonderful!
Tobi, I miss you so much! I love to read your blog and you have such a good way with words! I am glad you are all doing well. Kate looks so grown up. What a special day!
Post a Comment