For the last two weeks the tumultuous noises of our home have been accented with the gentle humming of the sewing machine. The basement family room has been decorated in thread pieces and fabric remnants.
When I was pondering Christmas presents for Kate I considered how she loves to make things and how she is frequently asking if she can "sew with hand" (sew by hand) to make a purse or other accessory for her dolls. She had of late become attached to a cloth doll I assembled in my tween years. So after a diligent search I found this doll on Etsy. The opening line got me, "Making things is fun, and you don't need to be a brilliant artist to do it. Here's something for those of you who need just a little help." Don't need to be an artist and could use some help. Sounded perfect. I e-mailed the shop owner and asked if she could customize the doll pieces: Caucasian skin, brown eyes, brown hair, and bright, colorful clothes. Basically, a little Kate replica.
The results on Christmas morning were just as I hoped and the daily pleadings to work on the doll where as I anticipated. It took a few weeks to pull myself together and then a few sessions to finish the doll. It was difficult as well as satisfying to help Kate with the face design, pinning and stitching, stuffing, and the dress design. Kate enjoyed pushing the petal of the sewing machine, she anxiously guided the fabric through the needle, and most especially loved the backstitch function. When all was said and done she couldn't be more pleased with her new BFF, Amy. Now she is asking when we can start sewing more clothes and perhaps a purse for Amy to hold her cardboard cell phone.
While the sewing machine was out I set out to solve another household problem. Colin has for some time had an awful habit of banging his head against the crib. He sort of crouches on all fours and rams his head into the bars at a consistent, even tempo. Most often this is done to comfort himself before, after, or during sleep time. I've discussed this with the pediatrician several times and while he is not concerned, the midnight, morning, and afternoon "Bang..bang..bang..bang..bang..." has been getting more annoying. Add to that some recent hair loss and chaffing at the sight of impact (just a mild balding spot at the center of his anterior fontanel) and I was finally ready for action.
I tried to find our crib bumper (Did I lend a white eyelet bumper to any of you?) but abandoned that idea figuring I needed something more substantial.
I went to the fabric store and bought some 1" and 2" thick high density foam (50% off! Yeah!) then constructed some removable coverings from this embroidered-stripe clearance fabric ($2/yard! Double Yeah!). I wish I had made the quilt too, but that is way above my skill level!
Now Colin can enjoy his rhythmic head banging and I can have my peace and quiet!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
b%2Btobi.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment