Sunday, March 8, 2009

I'll Be Watching You

Do you ever wonder if your neighbors are watching you? Well, if you are one of my neighbors you can rest easy...because I am watching! It's not that I sit at my front window and peak out the blinds (although I do spend more time looking out that window now that I'm nursing all the time). I just notice things. I can usually tell if my neighbors are home, who is there to visit, and other simple observations. I like to think I am doing them a favor because I watch for things that are unusual.

I'm not on a first name basis with dispatch at the Sheriff's office, but I have called three times in the last six years to report suspicious activity (suspected drug paraphernalia, a possible drug sale, and a weird guy walking the streets). And there are others...

Once when I was leaving home there was an old truck parked in my neighbor's driveway. My neighbors were clearly not home. I waited a few moments for the man to leave, wrote down the license plate number, and then drove closer and rolled down my window to make contact so he was clear that I was watching and would be able to give details to a sketch artist should one of my neighbors report a burglary later that day. When I asked him if he needed something he replied, "I'm just waiting for my grandson to get home from school so I can pick him up." Grandpa reported my diligent neighboring to his daughter and we had a good laugh.

Another time I was suspicious of a white van that pulled into my next door neighbor's driveway, so I called to make sure they were home. It turned out to be the ever dangerous window-repair guy.

So tonight it happened again. I was out after dark trying to track down some signatures for Scouting applications and I drove by the home of the Assistant Scoutmaster. They had been absent for church and there were no lights on so I assumed they were not home. After I got the other John Doe's I needed I drove by again, just to check. There were lights on now, but since it was after 8 I wanted to call first before knocking on the door. The phone rang and rang and then I saw movement through the curtains. When no one answered the phone I decided to call once more. Again there was no answer, but definite activity inside.

As I was driving away I started to get concerned that they weren't home, but someone else was in their house. (Yeah, you are probably thinking what kind of stupid burglars turn all the lights on a run past windows? Clearly my paranoia is not logical.) So, I tried to call their neighbors to see if this family was really out of town.

Finally I reached my friend Michelle who agreed to call their house and check on them. They answered after a few rings. She then proceeded to explain that I was sitting outside their house, needed a signature, and was glad they were not getting robbed.

Many apologizes for stalking were given as the required signature was drawn.

1 comment:

Gillie said...

Suspicious activities, huh? We had an elder's quorum pres notice some suspicious activity at our house once. He saw shadows in the bathroom and decided not to pursue his home teaching attempts that night. Boy, am I glad he didn't.