Wednesday, November 17, 2010

It's a Small World

New this year was a Miniature Week.  We ate every mini food we could think of (Cookie Crisp cereal, mini Oreos, tiny donuts, baby teddy grahams and gold fish...).

On Monday we went to temple square to check out the miniature replica of the Salt Lake Temple.  (Thanks Jen for the heads up on that one!)
I was amazed how detailed and accurate it was.  It also fun to look into the upper rooms that we don't get to see when attending.  I took my mother-in-law several weeks prior to check it out.  She has not been through the temple so it was fun to explain the interior to her.  The kids loved seeing inside the temple.  It was stunningly placed right in front of the giant windows looking out at the real thing.  This is an exhibit I highly recommend!


Next we learned about bugs (those pesky little things) and made bugs out of candy and cookies.  Later we made yarn webs. 


That night for dinner I made spider pot pies.  They were a little frightening...not unlike the real thing...but tasted yummy.


The next day we played at a miniature western town in West Jordan...where there was no small need to visit the bathroom frequently.  (I wish park planners would think a little harder about how far away they place the bathrooms.)


On the way home we stopped at a furniture store on Highland Drive to take turns in the giant chair and giant hand.


For our last mini-adventure my Summer Fun Co-Conspirator Val and I headed with nine children in tow (I had two nieces along for the adventure) to the Salt Lake Art Center for a round of artistic miniature golf.




Each hole was a large - sometimes simple, sometime elaborate - playable piece of art.  It was fun to enjoy the different textures and styles and attempt the vastly different holes.  I definitely appreciate art more when it is multi-functional.  Val was my saving grace on so, so, so many of our outings this summer, including this one.  Thanks for being a fabulous friend and an even more amazing mom!

1 comment:

Cyd said...

How fun Tobi. I remember that mini golf day.... I remember it all too well.. Thanks for saving my buns that day.