A week ago Thursday we had almost survived Spring Break. Kate had earned a reverence coupon in Primary and wanted to go to the Discovery Gateway Children's Museum. On the morning of the magical day we informed Dad of our plans. With a measure of premonition he asked, "You are going to take four kids alone?"
When we arrived Kate and Adam jumped right in like we were visiting the home of an old friend. This, however, was Mason's first visit since he had learned how to interact more fully with the world. I set Kate and Adam free and Mason spent most of the time playing in the water.
After a few hours of splashing, climbing, and building, Colin decided it was his turn for attention. I took Mason into the Hatch, Waddle, and Fly area (an enclosed section for kids 3 and younger) so he could play while I nursed Colin. Just as I was about to bring out the goods for one hungry baby I watched Mason fly, smack, and scream. While I had been busy getting Colin out of his car seat Mason had taken a riding toy (that was not supposed to be in there) up a small ramp and ridden down. At the bottom of the ramp the toy stopped abruptly upon contact to the soft padding and Mason continued on until he connected with a large wooden row boat.
I quickly set Colin in his car seat and snatched up Mason. He cried and snuggled into my shoulder, not allowing me to assess the damage. Finally a mother nearby offered a baby wipe - Mason was bleeding. With Colin screaming at my feet I tried to get a closer look at Mason. There was blood on his chin and flowing out of his mouth. It looked like he had bit his lip.
I flagged over a museum employee and asked if she could get me an ice pack. She suggested that I follow her to the First Aid room. With one bleeding child in my arms, one starving baby crying at my feet, and two more out playing, I sat frozen. Other mothers passed by and wanting to help, but unsure what to do, tried to put Colin's binky back in his mouth. When he would lose it moments later the next passing Mom tried again. I couldn't put Mason down to strap in Colin and raise the handle on his car seat and the museum employee just stared at me from five feet away wondering why I wouldn't come. Finally a sweet lady asked what she could do to help. She got Colin buckled in and graciously carried him as I gathered up Kate and Adam and made my way out.
The First Aid-trained guy showed up and confirmed that Mason had bitten through his bottom lip and should be taken to the hospital for stitches. After he situated a band-aid he rewarded Mason with a sucker (do they teach the direct application of sugar to open wounds at First Aid training now?). I let Mason keep it simply so I could release him long enough to feed Colin and quiet him for a moment (yeah, he had continued to scream all this time).
The poor First Aid guy tried to be patient while I tried to get everyone well enough to leave the building. I could tell he was losing his patience when Adam started playing in the wheel chair, but I think it just about did him in when I was about to leave but had to stop and get a picture to document the event (I knew I would be writing about it and needed pics - I wish I had gotten a better one).
Dad met us at Insta-Care and took over while Colin got the attention he had been long waiting for. Dad had to help hold Mason down, but four stitches later - one on the outside, three on the inside - Mason was pretty much good to go.
We had the stitches removed on Wednesday morning and other than a giant canker on the inside of his lip, a slightly crooked front tooth, and a ruined shirt - this disaster is now behind us.
You know, I was going to ask the guy at the Museum if I could get a raincheck or something to come back and finish playing another time, but I don't think I want to go back there for a while.
b%2Btobi.jpg)
4 comments:
You were brave to even attempt such an outing. You made it though. What a woman!
BAHAHAHAHAHA (;
Sounds exactly like how the outing would have gone for us. Good to know I am not alone ;)
Amy
My body tensed up just reading that. (deep breath) You handled it marvelously apparently.
Post a Comment