Monday, June 13, 2011

An African Safari

We traveled to Kenya today to learn about the African Savanna and all the animals that live there.  It was fun to reminisce about my own trip to South Africa thirteen years ago and the animals I saw at the Pilanesberg Game Reserve (zebras, elephants, baboons, giraffes, cheetahs) and the lion cub I got to hold at the Johannesburg Lion Park.
Me and my African host, Jean-Pierre (my sister's BIL)
We got the kids geared up in their butcher paper safari hats and paper towel roll binoculars and went searching for animals.  Each child had a safari observation book I had made to record information about the animals and to mark each place where they saw those animals this week (at the zoo, in a book, or on a video).





 


I know gorillas aren't in the savanna, but they live right next door in the African rain forest and we didn't want to leave them out since we won't be seeing any gorillas in the South American rain forest!

After our safari we headed to the zoo to check out the real thing.  It was Colin's first time at the zoo since he was a teeny baby.  Both he and Kate loved it!


Day 6 is in the books.  74(ish) days to go!  We'll see where our adventures take us tomorrow!

1 comment:

Jen said...

What a fantastic idea! You really are a brilliant mom to plan such fun things to do with your kids. Thanks for sharing so I can try some of them too!