Monday, July 20, 2009

We Got A Pet!

Those of you that know me really well probably just said (in your head or out loud), "What!?!" You are thinking this is either a joke or I have lost my mind. Actually it is a bit of both.

Last week was "Under the Sea" Week and after thinking about water and the ocean and all its creatures for the whole week the thought occurs to me...Why don't we get a few goldfish? We could just put them in a bowl and the kids can enjoy a nice little pet for a few weeks.

So Friday evening we head to the pet store and let Kate and Adam each get two goldfish. The employee informed us that goldfish could only be expected to live in still water for 2-3 days. I was thinking THAT IS MY KIND OF PET! Just to improve their chances, we bought a gallon special conditioned water and a jar of food.

Before long our new pets were enjoying their new home (our glass water pitcher) and had been properly named - Mittens, Silver, Mojo, and Otis.


The kids went to sleep with happy dreams about their new fish. Unfortunately the fish decided to take a little sleep too...the kind you don't wake up from. Less that 12 hours after their arrival at our home they were dead. (I think it was the marbles I didn't think to wash before putting them in the pitcher.)

The kiddos took it really well, since we had told them to expect only a few days. Still, I felt bad that they didn't get their promised 2 days and we still had a lot of that special conditioned water. I convinced Shem to let me get three more. Saturday afternoon we brought home Clover, Otis (again), and Milk (aka Rotten Banana). That last one was Mason's.

After a haircut later that day, Shem came home with a little filter. He thought it was silly to buy more fish just to have them die. (I told him the whole point was for the kids to enjoy them for a few days and then have them die. I know, I know. That is why we don't have pets.)

Anyway, Otis died before the day was out and Milk wasn't looking so hot. By morning Clover was the only survivor. She is looking good and eats heartily. I suppose she is not so bad. Perhaps her life will serve a purpose in creating a small crack of an opening in the previously locked door to having pets.

Here is Kate's artistic rendering of her favorite fish.

5 comments:

Cyd said...

haha Did you say the point was to have them die? Only you Tobi.. Only you! haha

When I read the title I immediately thought. Pet? pssst I bet they got something like a fish. That doesn't count! (;

Esther said...

I agree. Fish don't count. For references on a REAL pet, check out my previous blog posts about our dog and her pooping on the lawn- or even the termites. Termites count as pets because they come with constant maintenance and cost A LOT of money.

Mama said...

Have you ever heard of the the theory that you should keep a plant alive for at least a year, then a pet for at least a year, then marriage, then kids? Good thing you are such a great gardener!!! I think that makes up for the pet thing : ) har har har

Angela said...

I agree with Christina. You have a garden to take care of and there isn't a primary song that sings "The Prophet said to get a pet and so that's what we'll do."

Emilie said...

Fish count....but barely.