Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Cowabunga Baby!

Last Friday we checked out the new local water park. I know this sounds kind of stupid, but it was the wettest water park I have ever been to.


The slides all come off a tangle of soaking play equipment fitted with overhead dumping buckets, water cannons, and hoses. The life guards wear ponchos. You can even get hit by the splash of the giant water buckets while you are standing in line. (That is Kate is the purple swim shirt, bent over to brace for the impact.)

You can ride with a child in your lap on all the open tube slides and they even provide life jackets for free. I was pleased to find that the water was not frigid and was even heated up a few degrees in the gently sloping kiddie pool where Mason kept wandering too deep and getting stuck floating on his back until we could get to him.

The fun, but crowded lazy river sported free tubes and enough fountains and sprinklers to keep you from drying out too quickly. Kate, Adam, and Shem loved swimming with the gentle current as a help to paddle forward.

My only real complaint was no outside food allowed. I'm usually very pleased for an excuse to buy french fries for lunch, but was not so please about the movie theater-style prices.

We had a great four hours of fun and were pleased to discover as we were changing to leave...they even have miniature toilets. You have to give props to a place that really gives a crap about kids.

4 comments:

shari berry bo-berry said...

wow, that place looks awesome! i wanna go!

Esther said...

Love the "crap" pun.

Angela said...

Casey is always trying to get me to take the kids to water parks. I'm always worried about taking four kids who really don't swim well, if at all, because I don't know how baby friendly they'll be. It looks like you really lucked out with a good one. It stinks about the food, though.

Gillie said...

I got my mouth washed out with soap once for saying crap. Naughty, naughty ;o)