Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Beautiful Things

I recently heard a song on K-LOVE that reminded me of an experience I had in January.

I had been feeling quite discouraged. Things didn't seem to be going right and I wanted to know that God had a plan for me in all this, despite my feelings of frustration and inadequacy as a mother.

I was able to get away for an hour to do Initiatory work at the Jordan River Temple. It literally only takes a few minutes to get there, but I was sobbing before I had managed to park the car. I was trying to do what I thought was right, but I was having a hard time seeing how I was ever going to find happiness as a mother and homemaker.

As I walked into the women's dressing room I immediately noticed that things had changed.  Just the month before I had been thinking what a shame it was that the Initiatory ordinance, one of the most beautiful of the temple ordinances, was performed in such unattractive quarters. The beauty and grandeur of the temple was lost in that back corner of the dressing room. In the Jordan River Temple a vertical beam interrupted the U-shaped waiting area that was padded with what looked like RV cushions. Everything looked like it had received at least ten coats of white paint over the last thirty years. The ordinance booths reminded me of white restroom stall dividers and the curtains were attached with velcro or shower curtain rings for easy cleaning. 

The temple had been closed for a few weeks in December and there had been some renovations. The initiatory area had the most dramatic changes. An entirely new entry way had been created. Passing through the dark-stained wood casings around the doorway I walked into a tiled reception area. The wide hallway looked palace-like with the tall ceilings and more of the dark accenting trim.  The desk sat back in an alcove and behind it was beautiful artwork and flowers.

After I had given them my name I proceed to the waiting area. It was arranged and decorated like an elegant sitting room with upholstered couches, accent chairs, flowers, and lamps. I sat down on one of the couches. To either side of this room was a hallway that led to the ordinance rooms. Thick, rich curtains hung from the doorways and elaborate trim work adorned the ceilings above each small room. It was exquisite.

As I was taking in all the beautiful changes the Spirit whispered a sweet message from Heavenly Father, "I can make things beautiful." And then I knew, that despite my own inability to see the life He was creating for me, I could trust that He would make it beautiful. This time the tears were of gratitude.



No comments: