And it came to pass that on the twenty-second day of the seventh month we journeyed to the Conference Center for our final summer activity.
We recruited a kind, patient, and flexible guide to lead us to the Book of Mormon Gallery to look at Arnold Friberg's twelve Book of Mormon paintings. We reminisced about traveling into the wilderness and the Liahona we used to find our way to our friend's house and the fun we had sailing and fishing on Nephi's boat at the Church History Museum.
We thought about Abinadi being tried and then killed. We remembered the animated video about Ammon that we love and how brave he was ("Yes, these are arms alright."). We talked about Moroni and the evening a few weeks prior when Kate told us that story after learning about it in Primary.
We admired Helaman and his Strippling Warriors and laughed about our Training Camp. We recalled the beauty of the Waters of Mormon and the protection Samuel received on the wall. We looked at the Brother of Jared and remembered the long journey in barges and we grieved with Mormon and Moroni as they watched the final destruction of their people.
I asked the children to choose their favorite picture and draw it in their gold plates (you can each picture to see if up close). Mason's interpretation of Lehi's beard and his addition of the turtle by the boat are my favorite.
![]() |
| Kate and Abinadi |
![]() |
| Adam and Moroni |
![]() |
| Mason and Nephi |
![]() |
| Colin and Ammon |
As we left the gallery I brought the children in front of this picture:
We talked about Jesus visiting the Nephites. I asked the children if they would like to see Jesus. (There was some mixed answers on that one - Adam was a little nervous about seeing Him before he had a chance for some repenting.) After I reminded them that Jesus loves them I took them to see Him.
![]() |
| North Visitors Center |
Adam: When I think about Jesus I feel the spirit, reverence, warm, and scared.
Kate: When I think about Jesus I feel love, the Holy Ghost. When I was looking at Jesus the song "When Jesus Was Baptized" came on and it made me feel so happy that I wanted to cry.
I bore my testimony that Jesus in the Christ, that He loves us, and that I know He lives.
We went quietly home (okay, not so quietly) and Dad used his Priesthood to bless each child in preparation for the new school year that was about to begin.
I really enjoyed the theme for this summer and I'm looking forward to expanding on new ideas in the future. It is a blessing for me to be able to use my creativity and talents in a way that benefits my children. I hope they will always remember the fun times we shared together and how I tried to show them my love, the best way I knew how.
And thus we come to the end of A Summer from the Scriptures 2012.









b%2Btobi.jpg)
4 comments:
What a fabulous summer you all have had! Colin is quite the amazing artist!
I think they will always remember this summer and the activities and the feelings of love because you put so much into it. It will be a important memory to them and they will remember "always" doing stuff like that even if you never do it again.
GOOD JOB!!!
Amazing.. Amazing.. Amazing.. And don't you forget it!!
I love the picture of your eternal family. You are so beautiful and your sweet family makes me smile.
I love the picture of your eternal family. You are so beautiful and your sweet family makes me smile.
Post a Comment