Saturday, May 15, 2010

Pizza Sauce on the Stairs

I've been in a bit of a funk lately, if you hadn't noticed. It just feels like I am doing everything wrong. I've been overwhelmed by the mess in my house, the noise level of my children, and the burden of spiritual indecision. I've been constantly tripping on toys (that I had just put away!!!), trying to quiet the endless childhood bickering and begging, cataloging the endless tasks I can't seems to accomplish (boil my wash clothes, clean up the pizza sauce on the stairs, fold the mound of laundry hidden behind the mountain of folded clothes that need to be put away), and continually questioning the strength of my faith and the best paths to choose. I felt like I needed a fresh start.

On Friday morning I was visiting with two of my amazing sisters-in-law and our conversation gave me new insights and actions to take. I need to find more peace. I need to find a few moments during the day where I can step back from the chaos and reconnect with the Spirit. I need to embrace the different cycles of my life and give myself some leeway when I'm going through a hard patch. I need to be more obedient and more accurately follow the promptings I am seeking so desperately to receive. After our talk I wanted to find my way back to happiness. I wasn't sure how, but I was motivated.

Friday afternoon I began the prep work for our kitchen remodel. This project was on hold until we decided to do it one piece at a time, from the floor up. The weekend project was to tear up the floor and put down a new sub-floor. While Colin was napping I took a hammer and crowbar and started breaking things.

(before pics...you'll have to wait at least a week for the after)

I can't tell you how therapeutic it was to be destroying things on purpose - as opposed to my feelings as of late that I was destroying everything despite my best efforts. My brothers-in-law moved out the appliances and when Shem got home I asked him to take the kids to dinner so I could continue my efforts.

I ripped at the linoleum that I have hated mopping for the last 5 years (it wasn't so bad the first few years we lived in the house). I felt lighter as I carried each piece to the door and threw it into the back of the truck. It was empowering to be working with my hands. My mind felt clear and I felt strong. It was a workout for my body (it made this morning's 12.6 mile bike and 3.1 mile run feel like a sweaty piece of cake).

With more hours of work today (done mostly by Shem - I don't have those power tool skills he does) the sub floor is laid. As I was vacuuming up the dust down the stairs I thought, "It sure is great we decided to start working on the kitchen. I feel renewed and strong. Our home is full of energy. And the pizza sauce is no longer on the stairs."

7 comments:

DowdleFam said...

I love reading your blog. You make life so real! Thanks for your truthfulness. (Is that really a word?)

Emilie said...

Ooooo I love before and afters!

Are you changing the layout or updating what you have?

Lindsay said...

It must be something in the air. I too have been feeling "short" as of late. I hate feeling that way! Thanks for the thoughts on how to go about changing things. Too bad our kitchen doesn't need new tile:)

Cyd said...

Have you ever gone to go post a comment on say your sisters blog and then thought.. Wait.. She hardly ever comments on my blog. THERE'S NO WAY I'M GOING TO POST ON HER BLOG. Me too. Crap I just submitted this comment!!

JK I'm so excited for your kitchen to be remodeled. Are you opening it up more or just redoing it where it is. (:

Tobi said...

We are just updating existing stuff. We are going to put down vinyl squares that look like stone (love the cost and the kid friendly aspects - softer than tile, easy to replace if damaged). We are having the cabinets refinished and stained a darker color. New case and base and paint will finish off the project for now. New countertops and appliances will have to wait until the dust settles and the financial reserves grow.

Esther said...

A gritty home project always pulls me out of a funk. I hope you find peace in the little moments, and joy in the whole.

Esther said...

P.S. Did you climb on your table to snap that pic?