Sunday, February 1, 2009

Like I Said Before...

...I am a numbers person. It seems to invade every aspect of my life.

For example, to run the microwave for two minutes is it more effective to use the "Add Minute" button twice, which mind you does not require the use of the "Start" button - or press "2" "0" "0" "Start." Yeah, who thinks about those kinds of things? That would be me.

The other day I noticed a very significant milestone approaching on my odometer. Unfortunately, when the magical event occurred I happened to be on the freeway. (I did manage to maintain a perfect 65 mph while getting the shot.)

I thought 123,456 miles was kind of cool - and not just because that meant I had 127 miles until my next oil change.

Anyway, all this drama with numbers caused me to think about all the other numbers that have been keeping me busy this week. For example:

1:00 a.m. x 3 - working late nights to get the business financial numbers to settle correctly for too many companies. I finally got the numbers on my obber-complicated Excel spreadsheet for my Dad to reconcile. I was so happy I literally danced through the house (and then yes, celebrated by going out to dinner! Ahhhh.)

4 1/2 weeks...then 4 weeks...then 3 1/2 weeks - the final countdown to a new birthday. The ladies at water aerobics asked me this week, "So you have one week left?" I think that is because I look like I could have delivered full term twins yesterday. This week also included the not-so-exciting number of 41 cm (the length of my uterus). This number is supposed to match how far along you are...like 36 weeks/36 cm. My midwife so kindly informed me that this baby is huge already. How much would it cost me to get an epidural? I think it would be around $700, so that is one number I don't want to know.

2 - two boys and the terrible twos. While they appear here to be playing so kindly, don't be deceived. As my SIL, Es, can testify, Mason is a little stink. His new response for any question or request is "No!" After a stern reminder it is often replaced with a "tay" (okay).
We are all getting a little stir crazy with the cold weather and Mom wanting to pass out on the couch most afternoons. And why can't a 6-year-old and a 4-year-old sit still and watch a movie for longer than 45 minutes without needing to make some kind of complaint or request? I'm looking forward to Spring and bikes, scooters, and swing sets.

Two is also the number of times Adam has started crying and gotten out of bed while I have been typing this post. He is complaining of ear pain. That would make ear infection number what for him? I've lost count.

ZERO - number of sewing projects left to complete before baby arrives. I finished and gifted the blankets for Cyndi and Connie, completed the dish soap aprons for a wedding shower gift, made the final stitches on my so-cute nursing cover, and tonight I finished the new blanket with hand stitched edges for this babe. Here are a few pics...

$20 - The price I paid for a car seat from my friend. Mine has been through 3 kids and is expired and hers seated only one little guy who just turned one (and doesn't expire until 2011). While she deemed it to be in perfect condition I had to patch two holes, sew on a missing hook, and trim and melt the edge of the tightening strap (thanks hubby!). This is not the $179 Chicco KeyFit car seat that I want, but this will do for now and I can always buy the one I want later if financial restraints are lifted with the increase of construction in the Spring. (Thanks Em for the perspective.) It turns out this car seat is not too bad, especially once I bought a Snuzzler and stared at the picture of the cute baby on the package. I suppose it's not so much the car seat I am longing for as the little being that goes inside it.
8 days - Speaking of little beings, this is a shout out for Cyndi who is now 8 days overdue. I love you! We are praying for your labor to get going already and I know you can make it! He'll definitely get here this month...you can count on that!

There are loads of other numbers spinning in my head (and finding their way into my dreams) like how many loads of laundry need to be done to get the 0-3 month baby clothes ready and how many minutes of blessed relief I get tomorrow while Kate and Adam are both at school (approximately 175 in case you were curious) or will that be minutes at the doctor's office getting antibiotics? We'll see in the morning.

If you are not a numbers person and all this has got you feeling anxious, go draw a lovely sketch. That is something I can't do...unless it is paint by numbers or connect the dots.

4 comments:

Emilie said...

You did a great job on all your sewing!!

That car seat looks great. Seriously! They way it had been described I was thinking of something totally different ;)

Hooray for going out to dinner!

Angela said...

Tobi, thanks for the update. It's so hard going past due date! I'll send her an email so I can get some cute pictures.

Your nursing cover is tres chic! I'd want one except I live in the hottest state in these here US of A!

Ummm. Sorry you're so big? You sure were skinny girl the last time I saw you. It's hard for me to picture. (Photos? No?)

Esther said...

You wanted a comment, so... digital pics on THE FREEWAY WHILE DRIVING?!!?! Are you nuts? or,

Cool pics. Yer sooo talented. I would have crashed the car and only after the odometer read 123457, and I STILL wouldn't have gotten the picture. You crack me up.

Cyd said...

I haven't read your blog for a while.. You know.. Busy having a baby and all! Thanks for all your prayers I know they helped me!! (: I love you to pieces and can't wait to introduce our little guys!

P.S. I totally need some pointers on making my own nursing cover!!! I'll give you a day or two to recover (; ok so maybe a lot longer then that.