Kate and her Service Girl Club had a really sweet service planned this week. With the weather warming up they wanted to do some gardening.
There is a woman in our ward fighting breast cancer. I had not had the chance to meet her yet, but I felt prompted to call her to see if there was anything we could do to brighten her flower beds. I couldn't get a hold of her after several attempts, but I was finally able to reach her the morning of the meeting.
I explained who I was and why I was calling. I told her that I imagined that being in the middle of chemo treatments didn't leave her much energy for gardening. She mentioned that she did have two empty containers on her porch that she usually planted this time of year. I asked if she would be willing to let the girls come and fill the containers with flowers. She was so grateful that we would think of her. She immediately consented and I wrote down a few of her favorite species.
Later that day I went to Home Depot to pick up the flowers. Being flower illiterate I don't remember the names of the flowers now, but they were pretty. I had to make my best guess on the amount of plants it would take to fill two pots and I picked out about $50 in flowers. I tracked down a manager to see if they would give me a discount since the flowers were for a special cause. I was hoping he might be as generous as 25% off. When I explained my story he replied, "You can just have them." I was confused. "Have them, like for free?" "Yes," he replied, "and if you need any more just let me know."
He walked me out of the store (I was worried that I would get stopped for shoplifting) and I couldn't stop smiling at his kindness and the significance of the money saved from a checking account that was drooping that week.
Later that afternoon the girls arrived and we drove to Donna's house. As we were planting she came out to watch.
She insisted that we take pictures with her and the girls. She was so touched by their kindness.
I was touched by the love Heavenly Father has for Donna and the way He expressed it through us.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



b%2Btobi.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment